Cardinal Dolan will lead parishioners from the Archdiocese of New York on a Pilgrimage of Mercy to the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, D.C., where they will walk through the Holy Doors of the largest Catholic church in North America.
The pilgrimage will take place on Saturday, Oct. 15.
It is the second time in two years that archdiocesan pilgrims have visited the national shrine. The first was in November 2014, when 200 New Yorkers accompanied Cardinal Dolan. “We should all feel at home at this place. It’s the home of our mother,” the cardinal said in his homily at the Mass he celebrated there.
The basilica, built in the Romanesque-Byzantine style, is home to more than 70 chapels and oratories reflecting the people, cultures and traditions that are part of the Catholic faith in the United States.
The Extraordinary Jubilee of Mercy, declared by Pope Francis, opened on the feast of the Immaculate Conception, Dec. 8, 2015. It extends to the Solemnity of Christ the King on Sunday, Nov. 20, 2016.
The pilgrimage is being organized by the archdiocesan Office of Adult Faith Formation under the direction of Dr. Daniel Frascella.
Cost is $40 per person, including roundtrip bus transportation and a boxed dinner. To register: www.archny.org/mercy.
Buses will depart at 6 a.m. from the following six sites throughout the archdiocese:
• Our Lady of Lourdes High School, faculty parking lot, 131 Boardman Road, Poughkeepsie, NY 12603
• Mount St. Mary College, Kaplan lower parking lot, 330 Powell Ave., Newburgh, NY 12550
• Our Lady of Pity Church parking lot, 1616 Richmond Ave., Staten Island, NY 10314
• St Joseph’s Seminary parking lot, 201 Seminary Ave., Yonkers, NY 10704
• Palisades Mall, commuter parking lot, 1000 Palisades Center Drive, West Nyack, NY 10994
• New York Catholic Center, 1011 First Ave., New York, NY 10022
The buses are scheduled to return home to the departure sites at 10 p.m.
Information: Elizabeth Guevara, director of operations for the archdiocesan Office of Adult Faith Formation, at Elizabeth.firstname.lastname@example.org or (646) 794-2579.